German Shepherds are known for their good strength, loyalty and high levels of intelligence. They are often referred to as the world’s most intelligent dog breed because of their ability to learn new tasks. In addition, they are the most loving and energetic dog breed with a highly sensitive digestive system and, therefore, require the most nutritious food to keep them going.
Here are the best German Shepherd puppy foods:
1. Taste Of The Wild Sierra Mountain
This particular product tops our list of the best German Shepherd puppy food. It is lamb-based and made from high-quality ingredients, and designed to match the wild canid diets though it is not made from any grains.
- It contains Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids that promote good joint and skin health.
- It is made with real fruits like raspberries and blueberries that are rich in antioxidants.
- It is formulated with probiotics to promote good digestion.
- It is made in the USA under very strict food safety requirements.
This product is appropriate for German Shepherd dogs that suffer from poor joint health and poor digestion because of its unique ingredients.
2. Wellness Complete Health Whitefish And Sweet Potato
This particular dog food product is a limited-ingredient dog food that is whitefish-based and made with whole foods without artificial preservatives.
- It does not have wheat, soy, corn and artificial flavors and preservatives.
- It is made in the USA and hence, is made under high-quality standards.
- It is made of natural minerals and vitamins and, therefore, suitable for a balanced diet.
- It does not contain meat by-products that may, in many instances, may not be identifiable.
It is suitable for dogs with a poor appetite, since it is very palatable. It also contains omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids that help a great deal in the overall health of the dog.
3. Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin And Stomach
This dog food brand is designed for dogs with sensitive stomachs and food allergies. It is salmon and rice-based, easy to digest and highly palatable.
- It is manufactured in the USA and therefore made under high-quality standards.
- It is fortified with vitamins and minerals, which help in ensuring that the dog eats a complete and balanced diet.
- It is also fortified with glucosamine-rich ingredients that help with joints protection as the dog ages.
Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin And Stomach is suitable for German Shepherds who suffer from sensitive stomachs and those who need adequate vitamins and minerals.
4. Natural Balance L.I.D Lamb And Brown Rice Formula
This is another limited ingredient diet manufactured using lamb protein and brown rice that are both easy to digest.
- It does not have unnecessary ingredients like preservatives, artificial flavors and color.
- It is formulated to be used by dogs in all stages of life.
- It is also fortified with Omega-3 and Omega-6 rich Canola oil.
- It provides a natural balance owing to its all-natural ingredients component.
The Natural Balance L.I.D Lamb And Brown Rice Formula is suitable for dogs that need to eat high-quality food and those who suffer from constant food allergies.
5. Canidae Grain Free Pure Dry Dog Food
This dog food brand contains a variety of proteins and sweet and simple-to-digest carbohydrates like sweet potato, peas and chickpeas. In addition, it has real lamb as the first ingredient, which is palatable and easy to digest to many dogs.
- It contains ingredients that are rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids that are essential in boosting skin health and the immune system.
- It is fortified with different probiotics that help in supporting smooth gastrointestinal processes.
- It is also fortified with supplemental minerals and vitamins that ensure that the dog is eating a properly balanced meal.
The Canidae Grain Free Pure Dry Dog Food is suitable for dogs that suffer from gastrointestinal issues.
6. INSTINCT Raw Boost Grain-Free Recipe With Real Duck And Freeze-Dried Raw Pieces Dry Dog Food
This dog food does not contain grains since it has duck and chicken meals as its first proteins. It also contains a probiotic that promotes healthy digestion. In addition, it helps in providing the dog with healthy antioxidants since it has fruits and vegetables.
- It can be eaten by puppies and dogs.
- It is highly palatable.
It is highly recommended for young and old dogs owing to its high nutritional content.
7. Iams ProActive Health Adult Large Breed Dry Dog Food
This is one of the most popular dog food brands because it has a primary protein source and contains barley and sorghum as whole grains.
- It has chicken as its first ingredient.
- It is cheaper than most food brands.
It is highly recommended for old dogs since it has a very high calcium content that is good for joints.
8. Dr. Gary’s Best Breed Holistic German Dry Dog Food
This is a unique food brand on this list since it is specifically made for German Shepherds. It is a primary protein food with fish and chicken as the ingredients.
- Its ingredients promote muscle development.
- It also has minerals that promote nutrient absorption.
- Puppies find it easy to consume it since it does not have big particles.
It is recommended for puppies and dogs and is specifically manufactured for German Shepherds.
Your German Shepherd dog’s diet is important for a few reasons. First, it plays an integral role in maintaining a strong immune system. Second, it ensures that the dog gets the proper nutrients to maintain good health. Third, it also contributes to the dog’s mental and physical well-being by providing adequate protein, carbohydrates, fats, and vitamins and minerals.
If you want a German Shepherd dog to live a long and healthy life, you need to ensure that they get the proper nutrients in their food. You can help keep your dog’s diet healthy by adding some fresh or frozen vegetables along with fruit into their food bowl at mealtime. This will provide them with additional antioxidants, which are key to good health and longevity.
Next: The best foods for large breed puppies (a list from Jaxery)
Why Is A German Shepherd Dog’s Diet Important?
The main reason you should care about your German Shepherd Dog’s diet is because it has a long-term impact on its health. This is because dogs are not just animals; they are also living beings who need proper nourishment to stay alive. Therefore, they also demand good dietary sources of vitamins, carbohydrates, proteins and minerals to stay healthy. You should make sure that your German shepherd dog’s diet includes all the essential nutrients that it needs to stay healthy and happy.
Main Health Concerns For German Shepherds
Most German Shepherd dogs are healthy and good-looking, although the breed is susceptible to a variety of health concerns when compared to other breeds. Many of the problems are congenital, leaving the dog owner with no control over prevention. However, a good number develop because of the dog’s living conditions and can be treated by ensuring that the dog is fed the most nutritious food. Below are the most common:
1. Food Intolerances
German Shepherds have difficulties digesting some food types and experience diarrhea and vomiting when fed on them.
2. Food Allergies
The German Shepherd is notorious for suffering from food allergies. In typical situations, the allergies show on the skin in the form of itchy and dry skin on the paws and ears. Some dogs may also experience gastrointestinal issues that are mostly due to the dog identifying harmless pathogens or proteins that trigger a certain unpleasant reaction to the digestive system.
German Shepherds are highly susceptible to experiencing bloating when compared to other species. Stomach bloating in dogs carries a high risk since it occurs when the dog’s intestines become twisted and, as a result, traps gas inside.
It is advisable to encourage the dog to eat slowly without gulping a lot of air on its own.
4. Perianal Fistulas
These are small tunnels that form around the dog’s anus part that connects the anal glands to the outside. The fistulas are extremely painful and pass pus.
5. Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Most German Shepherd dogs suffer from this condition. It is believed that it manifests the way Crohn’s disease does in humans. Research has also pointed out that this disease and the perianal fistulas may be interconnected in this dog breed.
6. Hip Dysplasia
This condition is common in this dog breed, and it makes it very hard to move around since it is quite painful.
Like many other dog breeds, German Shepherds also develop this condition as they age. It causes joint pain, making it very hard for the dog to move around.
Which Type Of Food Should You Feed Your German Shepherd Dog?
Your German Shepherd dog needs food that is healthy and nutritious. Therefore, the number one rule for feeding your GSD is not to feed it anything with artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. Instead, it would be best to stick with a brand that stays true to the ingredients they use and has no added sugars or sodium.
You also need to make sure that your GSD is getting enough protein in its daily diet. A good way to do this is by feeding it canned food as an easy snack option. Make sure you’re giving it these options at least two times a day, along with other healthy foods like vegetables and fruit. It’s important to remember that a GSD should always be kept lean, as fat can lead to obesity and other health issues later on in life.
Crucial Foods To Add to Your German Shepherd Dog’s Diet
Beef makes a great protein source for German Shepherds. It is also low in fat and high in zinc, a nutrient that helps maintain skin, coat, and immune function.
Lamb is another great option for your German Shepherd as it’s a good source of protein and contains many nutrients like vitamin B6, which is important for your pet’s nervous system development.
Turkey has similar benefits to beef but has less fat, making it a great choice for your German shepherd dog.
Salmon is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which play a big role in your pet’s brain and eyesight. Omega-3s are also found in fish oil supplements, so it doesn’t have to be an expensive meal.
5. Chicken Breast
Chicken breast might not sound too exciting on its own, but when you consider all the nutrients it provides your pet with (vitamin A and D, thiamin), you’ll want to feed it often.
6. Rice & Peas
Rice and peas contain a lot of fiber which can help keep digestive issues at bay and prevent heart disease and some cancers in dogs over time.
What To Look For In High-Quality Food For Your German Shepherd
As discussed above, German Shepherds need to be fed well with high-quality dog food. Below are the specific characteristics that define high-quality dog food for your German Shepherd.
1. Avoid Foods With Unnecessary Additives
Like with humans, it is important to avoid feeding your German Shepherd dog with food that has a lot of additives and food colors. Such foods promote allergies and stomach intolerances, which largely affect German Shepherds.
2. Select Foods Made In Australia, USA, Canada, Western Europe and New Zealand
Not all countries that manufacture dog food follow strict quality and safety protocols. When you purchase food from these countries, it is unlikely that the food will be recalled or make your dog ill.
3. Consider Foods With High-Quality Proteins As Their First Ingredient
Many dog food manufacturers list their foods as carbohydrates as their first ingredient. However, the best foods have a whole-protein source as their first ingredient.
4. Avoid Foods That Contain Allergens
Since German Shepherds have a high tendency to allergies, it is advisable to avoid foods that contain common allergens like wheat, corn, beef and chicken.
5. Look For Foods That Contain Important Ingredients To Prevent Osteoarthritis
Since German Shepherds are at a high risk of developing osteoarthritis and other near-similar joint disorders, it is important to look for foods that contain chondroitin and glucosamine, which may play a big role in treating and preventing such problems.
6. Foods That Contain Probiotics Are Good
Probiotics foods can play a very good role in soothing a German Shepherd’s digestive system and help improve its function. Since the breed is easily susceptible to gastrointestinal issues, this type of food will go a long way in improving the dog’s health.
7. Feed Your Dogs With Omega-3 And Omega 6 Rich Foods
These two important ingredients go a long way in promoting your dog’s joint health and reducing inflammatory responses in the body. Omega-3 and Omega-6 also play a crucial role in promoting good coat condition on your German Shepherd.
In the above list, we recommend Dr. Gary’s Best Breed Holistic German Dry Dog Food as the best puppy food brand for your German Shepherd, since it can be consumed by puppies and dogs alike. It has all the necessary ingredients for a balanced diet and overall nutrition. You can buy it at Chewy for a reasonable price and open your German Shepherd to a world of tasty goodness.
The best foods for a Goldendoodle puppy
The top foods for Labrador Retriever puppies
The best food for Rottweiler puppies (our list)